Monday, November 3, 2008

Technical Terms

I do have Halloween pics - they will be posted soon-ish. I did want to tell you a funny story and I don't want to wait to upload pictures. So, you'll have to wait for that ;)

Our friends have been potty-training thier boy for a while now. The boy likes to talk about his unit in technical terms. He says things like "My penis worked!" when he successfully pees in the toilet. Well - since we hang out with our friends very often, my girls have heard that word a little too often.

The other night, Eva said to me, "Mom, my penis hurts." (Little girls are not the best at wiping properly and keeping themselves clean - so they often get a little irritated. ) I wasn't exactly sure how to react, so I said, "Eva, only boys have a penis - you don't." I thought that would be enough.
The next day, Eva said the same thing to Daddy. He decided that it wasn't ok for her to use that term - it just isn't right. So he told her the common name for female parts - vagina.

The day after that, we were driving in the car and Eva informed me that "girls don't have a penis, they have a .... a....(she's trying to remember the name) ...a veda." (veeduh)
Bryce and I just laughed - that's good enough. :)

The really fun thing is to think about things that really are named Veda.
My parents live on Veda Lane (hehe). I didn't take the time to remind her what my grandma's name was either.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

so we told Maesyn the proper word, it is a hard one to remember... so she just calls it her "chinese"...Vagina sounds like "China" that is how i made the connection between Vagina and chinese... good enough. we mostly try not to use those words and say girl pee pee and boy pee pee.

Share :) said...

Niiiice.
These are definetly the kinds of stories that need to be recorded. Some day Eva will look back on this and roll her eyes at you. ;)
Too funny!

(i can't WAIT to see you guys!)

Karen and Kyle said...

You're welcome, Bettie! :D

Ken and Em Sim Family said...

Ha! We are all about using the correct terms with Noah and Eli; it's always a penis. But for some hypocritical reason the "V" word makes me cringe. I rate it right up there with panties. Aggh! I hate that word! :)

Share :) said...

Hey Bets, I'm still waiting for those Halloween pics...or are you too busy NOT reading the next book? ;)