Sunday, May 11, 2008

Appearances Can Be Deceiving

We went camping this weekend with G and KT's family to celebrate G's new found freedom! The Sheffers accompanied us, too - because we had to help Karen get over her fear of camping with kids ;) Love ya Karen ;)



Anyway, on the way home, Bryce took his hat off - which he'd been wearing almost constantly because it was cold. As I looked across the car to my darling husband, this is the lovely view I beheld.

We were devastated when we arrived at home and the apartment complex was without water. Man, I needed to wash. Since I couldn't, I just went for my long run this week - 7.5 miles in 2 hours! I was way impressed with myself! I ran outside for the first time. I ran on the Rail Trail - it was a fun, kinda hilly trail. I'm excited to do it again. Oh, and, I got brave and asked a couple people from church to go running with me (although I'm a turtle) and they said they would love to! Yeah. When I got home - all sweaty and stinky - the water still wasn't on. I waited about a half an hour and then called Karen to save me. She, being the saint she is, was very willing to offer her shower AND feed me dinner.

I took the girls with me over there but stopped to get gas on the way. Remember that I'm still gross and in my too tight running clothes that were stinky... Some little teenage girls in a Mustang were on the other side of the pump from me and one girl said, "she should not be wearing those pants" the other girl looks at me and says, "I know, huh"... You will be happy to know that I didn't resort to violence - although I would have momentarily enjoyed messing up their made-up faces - I just acted like I didn't hear. But, dang it! I was proud of myself for having just run 7.5 miles! When did they ever do that! Argh! Oh, well. It did remind me that I had said similar things like that when I thought people didn't hear. And, who knows, maybe they had just lost 50 lbs or something equally amazing. I need to be kinder. Even when I think the people don't hear me, God does and it hurts his feelings when we hurt his children.

When people are dirty and stinky, maybe their apartment was without water...

We did all get clean today and were ready for church on time. Note to self, find more space to put water storage. A water purifier doesn't count.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Bettie, you crack me up! And, I am positive that girls like that have NEVER run 7.5 miles in their life. People who have run and done hard physical things would be thinking, "dang, she looks like she just had an AWESOME workout! Way to go!". I'm super impressed that you are training for a half-marathon. You will love it and feel SO good after! Can't wait to hear more about your training!

Karen and Kyle said...

Point taken.

You're welcome over here anytime. We have a 55 gallon drum that has been empty just sitting in our garage. I guess we should fill it eh?

Share :) said...

Great pic of Bryce! Maybe you should get it framed.
About the comment from those girls. Reminds me of the comment the shoe store guy made about me - "Remember she's heavier, so you'll need more sturdy shoes" (he says to his apprentice as they are determining which shoes to have me try). So while it did make me feel bad, it doesn't feel anything like how good finishing that half marathon felt. The accomplishments you are making FAR outweigh stupid girls.
On a side note, do we need to go running clothes shopping? Cause you know I'm up for it. :D

Ken and Em Sim Family said...

I'm comletely jealous about the running! Way to go! I can barely run up my stairs. Ha! As for the teenage girls, just remember where those comments come from--insecurity. They are just trying to fight their way through puberty in one piece! I kind of wish you would have "accidently" sloshed some gas on her shoes, though.