Friday, August 31, 2007

Isobel's first day of school :)

(Guest blogger: my hubby;)

If you think that's a happy face, you should have seen the one we didn't capture on film. In fact, Bettie and Eva didn't see the happiest face of all (hence the guest) because it happened just after Isobel's and my mad dash to her first bus, which we would have missed if we'd waited for Eva's usual performance. (This performance - they happen nearly every time we go anywhere - had to do with a pair of shoes, I believe.)



We made it in time and Isobel hopped on the bus. The driver handed me a form, told me which bus to look for in the afternoon and other "matters of consequence" and then started to pull away. I then realized I wasn't sure which seat Isobel was in and started a quick search so I could wave goodbye.




There she was: Second seat back, my side of the bus, grinning, waving and actually pumping her fists as she rode the bus to her first day of kindergarten.




Missing the bus wouldn't have been too serious, since after the bus pulled away, I walked back, grabbed Eva, got in the car and drove to Isobel's school. I probably beat her there. I had to drop off some supplies, but she wouldn't ride with me.

After finding a place for the supplies, I followed all the other parents into the classroom. The kindergarten kids sat on little letter mats in the front of the room and the parents, along with Eva and a few kids who preferred to sit on daddy's lap for an extra minute, sat on little chairs behind.

The teacher read a story about a scared raccoon who used a kiss - left by his mom in his hand - to feel better on his first day at school. Isobel watched, never looking back at her dad. Eva fought for (and was denied) access to the dolls, cash register and other toys in the room.



The raccoon's mom taught her baby (and the teacher taught all the kids in the class) the sign for 'I love you.' When the story was over, the teacher told the kids to stand up and turn around. All the kids turned around and looked at their parents. Except Isobel. She did a 360 and looked back at the teacher.

Then the teacher said to sign 'I love you.' All the kids signed it to their parents. Except Isobel. She signed it at her teacher.

Then the teacher said to 'Wave goodbye to your parents, and we'll start school.' So Isobel turned around to wave. It may have been the first time she'd thought about me since entering the class, so she wasn't really sure where I was. She located me eventually, waved and gave me that big excited smile one more time.

5 comments:

KAT said...

So cute, and ready to go. Does her school require a uniform? Or did she just wear that? I know Lily has some uniform clothes that we aquired but she's never been required to wear them.

KAT said...

Bryce needs to have a blog.

Mindy said...

I can't believe how big your girls are, and hey, when did you move? It's been TOO long! I'm so glad you posted on my blog, so I could visit yours! What's it like living there? Keep the stories and pictures coming!

Share :) said...

Izzy is looking so grown up! And I love that she's taking the "any shoes you want" part of the uniform code seriously! Everyone needs a pair of ruby red sparkley shoes! :D

Anonymous said...

She looks like Dorothy!
They are both adorable!!
We have the Kissing Hand book! None of my kids had a hard time either. I guess they were all just so happy to get away from their crabby mom! ;p